Things I Did
- I did a lot of traveling this summer. A bit too much, maybe. America is depressing... Seeing
friends and family suffer as a result of institutional bullcrap is maddening.
- Music lesson progress!
- I can play the first page of a Chopin song fairly competently. Chopin is my endgame for piano,
so I'm stoked. It took years to get here. Op. 69 No. 2 isn't a particularly hard piece by
Chopin standards, but I love playing it.
- I'm learning Korobeiniki (aka Tetris Theme A) on classical guitar. I grew my right hand
fingernails out again so I can pluck. Strange asymmetrical wizard mode activate.
- I started violin lessons. As I slowly learn to contort my fingers and try to remember to do 87
things at once, I realize that nothing about a violin was designed with the human body in mind.
- I discovered some months-old comments on my blog... Apparently some folks are missing my
now-defunct old Final Fantasy (NES) website FFClassic. Honestly I didn't anyone know cared that
The info on there is nothing compared to GameFAQs and wikis nowadays. I guess it did have a lot
of sprites and some other goofiness. The codebase just bit-rotted to the point where it was kind
of painful to keep it running. I'm working on resurrecting it again, for what it's worth. No
promises on if/when that might happen.
- I made my blog orange! And added dark mode (top right of page)! And a new avatar!
- Been working diligently on mental health stuff. I'm feeling pretty good at the moment. I feel
like I'm making progress on some things that I've been struggling with for decades.
Things I Found
- Julia Evans' blog - I'm inspired by both the quality and quantity of good
stuff over there. It makes me want to try harder on my own blog. I love her "the front page is
a sitemap" style, and plan to copy it shamelessly for my blog going forward.
- Synthwave wallpapers - Need more neon in your life?
- Vim plugins! Vim (and Neovim) have added features in the past year or two that enable some
markonm/traces.vim - Preview replacements! A killer feature from Spacemacs that I was
neoclide/coc.nvim - Enables Vim to use VSCode plugins. This is honestly a game-changer for
certain language-specific plugins.
FooSoft/vim-argwrap - Swap between single- and multi-line argument style.
Things I'm Thinking About
- I should enable notifications so I don't miss comments for months at a time, again. 🤦
- Calling these entries "weeknotes" is laughable, given that I go months without doing it, but I
can't think of a better name.